All barristers abide by Practice Rules which constitute a Code of Conduct. This Code of Conduct is the foundation of professional practice for barristers. It defines professional practice according to the highest ethical standards for barristers.
The Code of Conduct and the ethical standards it embodies guides the actions and decisions of barristers, the way they deal with courts and tribunals, their relationships with solicitors, clients, the community and each other.
The Code of Conduct and ethical standards of barristers enable barristers:
- to discharge their duty as officers of the Court;
- to provide leadership in the matters they are engaged in;
- to provide their clients with the highest level of loyalty and service;
- to serve the interests of their clients without fear or favour;
- to preserve the confidentiality of their client’s instructions.